Friday, August 18, 2006

My birthday is tomorrow! Going shopping...

Often, it's the small things that make a big difference.

At dinner tonight, Mistress told my kids that she will be taking me to the mall tomorrow for my birthday. She had not discussed this with me beforehand.

The very way that she casually mentioned our plans, as if they are simply set in stone, made me very happy. I began to look forward immediately to whatever she had in mind for us.

What's funny is that before she took the reins, I was one of those guys that hates to shop. I was a terrible companion at stores, always tense and in a hurry, wondering what I was missing --- as if anything could be more important than the gift of my time and presence with Her.

Now, I anticipate some fun time walking around the mall with my Mistress/Wife, holding her purchases, making small talk, relaxed and happy. If Mistress wants me to sit somewhere and wait for her, I will happily do it. If she wants me to hold her purse and stand oustide a dressing room while she tries on outfits, I will happily do it.

Thinking about her casual comment at dinner tonight got me thinking about all the other "small things"; the subtle gestures, the taking of liberties that no longer seem like liberties.

For example:
  • At dinner, she often reaches over and takes a bite off my plate. It's Her way of letting me know that it's all hers...
  • She made me switch our closets in the master bedroom (which we now refer to as the Mistress bedroom) so that she has the large double door closet and I have the one around the corner.
  • She randomly switches which side of the bed she has me sleeping on; and sometimes she has me sleep on the floor on a large puppy-bed. She says that I should never get too attached to any particular routine.
So, dear readers... Are there other examples of these "little things" in your lives?

No comments: