Friday, September 08, 2006

Weekday domestic routine and a question for my readers

It's an interesting feeling being in the background. In my professional life, I am very much up front and center stage. I manage a team of software developers and I am often very opinionated and authoritative. In contrast, in my life with Mistress Laura, I am happily in the background.

I thought I would give a peek into my weekday routines, and ask my readers a question that I have been thinking about that relates to my routine.

Yesterday was a typical day. I woke up at 6AM, fed the cats, let the dog out, did some writing and then prepared breakfast for my Mistress. I brought her breakfast, kneeling by the side of the bed while she and I talked for a bit, about whatever she wanted to talk about.

I made the bed when she was done, took care of the kitty litter, garbage and recycling, cleaned the kitchen, vacuumed her office space, and went to work. This may seem like a lot, but since I have become a neat-freak, there's not much to clean most of the time (I am constantly picking up, instead of letting things pile up).

In the afternoon, after working on various work related projects and leading my teams, holding meetings and dealing with outside vendors, I get into my car and drive home. Mistress is not home yet, but I know she will be seeing a couple of clients this evening, so I stay out of the way.

She arrives home and says hello to me. I greet her with a kiss and her favorite ginger ale on ice. She goes off into her office to prepare for her clients while I continue to clean, do a load of laundry, and prepare dinner.

Her clients come and she meets with them. While they conduct business, I cook our planned meal of steak (marinated in red wine and cooked with black peppers) and baked potatoes and some vegetables. I set the table and light a candle so that when Mistress Laura is done, she and I have a nice meal.

When we are done, I feed the dog and clean up the dishes while she catches up on her mail and reading. With the kitchen back to the way I like it, I refill Mistress's drink and we retire into the living room, for some TV. She sits on the couch, while I sit at her feet. Sometimes I fold laundry while we watch television. On this night, I didn't have much laundry, so I massaged and kissed her feet instead.

After watching TV, usually we retire to the bedroom, where I give my Mistress Wife either a back massage or a thorough foot massage with lotion and we both go to bed.

So, here's my question: Before I became my wife's slaveboy, I used to do far less work on a daily basis and yet I was more tired and cranky. Now, even with the never-ending housework, and all the things I do during the day, I am happy. I would say that I am even low-level excited/ecstatic all the time. Do my readers have an explanation for this or have similar experiences to share?

I'm looking forward to reading your opinions and stories.

3 comments:

Mistress Laura's boy said...

Hi metman. I am happy to meet you. I am responding to you at 4:30AM, having been woken up to do some maintenance work around the house (which I just did happily).

Are you ever annoyed by what you do?

Best regards,
Thomas.

Anonymous said...

Since I'm speaking to a manager: having your time (to some degree) structured for you may make you more productive.

We're all more apt to be cranky when our needs aren't being met.

And those of us that find pleasure in pleasing usually have more energy for tasks when we are doing them for the one we love than out of a general sense of responsibility or for ourselves.

Mistress Laura's boy said...

Hi Richard, Thanks for your comments.

All very true. I love being organized and I do get satisfaction from checking off items on my check list. And, I especially derive energy from doing things for Mistress Laura (rather than out of general obligation).